Attack on Titan Is Armin a girl: Yes
In the mentioned post claiming that Armin is a girl, we had the following statement:
- Question: Among the group of female characters on the 104th Training Corps, who did Mikasa get along with the most?
- Answer: Armin Arlert!
in addition, a related article stated that Isayama has revealed that Armin is a female character. Now, this is a huge surprise for Shingeki no Kyojin fans. Everyone thought Armin was a boy, but it looks like she was a girl.
Finally, here’s another post on the possibility of Armin being a girl.
Attack on Titan Is Armin a girl: Armin is a boy!
Is Armin a girl? the answer is No! Armin Arlert is a boy. There are a few reasons to consider:
- His appearance is masculine. This is not always revealing, because of the traps!
- Armin uses a distinctively masculine language in Japanese. (He refers to himself as (boku), which is a masculine pronoun, quite rarely used by females unless it is a matter of traps.
- The Shingeki no Kyojin wiki refers to him as a male.
- Armin is the name of a boy (source).
- He is voiced by a male voice actor (Grelle Josh) in the English dub.
Although he is voiced by a female voice actor in Japanese, it is common for young boys (Naruto, Gon, Luffy, Edward Elric, etc.). However, a man voicing a female character is extremely rare, and I doubt the mangaka would have allowed that.
After this post, Armin Arlert was confirmed later to be a man by the mangaka himself at a public event found in this Japanese video at 3:09.
- Question: What is Armin’s gender?
- Answer: Male.
Finally, Armin is confirmed to be a boy in the story when he is kidnapped while pretending to be Krista/Historia. While the kidnappers originally think he is a girl, they are shocked when they find out that Armin is a boy.